Friday 30 June 2017

Gut Instinct



"Rosakrone" pea flowers


Once upon a time there were no refrigerators. Not that long ago in the grand scheme of things.


People preserved meats by salting them and keeping them in cool dark places. Vegetables they kept for months through fermentation. The Scandinavians buried fish in the ground.

Pea plants are becoming a bit intimidating in the polytunnel


We have largely lost the knack of such things due to the omnipresence of the fridge in our cosseted First World lives. But cheap electricity may not be always with us. Maybe it's time we should reacquaint ourselves with some old-fashioned (self)-preservation techniques and give our guts a probiotic boost to boot.

I bought a couple of Kilner jars from the Co-op and a green cabbage.

Baby parsnip. Boy are they slow growing.

First step was to shred the cabbage with a kitchen knife. It wouldn't all fit in my bowl so I left some to cook up for a meal later.

Taking some salt I sprinkled a tablespoon over the shredded cabbage and mixed it all in.

Then I found a mashing implement (a wooden spoon) and began to mash. I could have done with one of those potato-masher utensils really. Bits of cabbage kept leaping out the side of the bowl and onto the floor but I carried on regardless.

Linseed plants begun to flower! I sowed them from the seed I usually sprinkle on my breakfast cereal

An interesting thing began to happen. The cabbage began to weep. Salty tears appeared at the base of my bowl. The volume of cabbage reduced by half or more as I pummeled it for ten minutes or so.

Into the jar it went, crushing it in, and only filling the jar by two-thirds. Enough juice had been released to cover the cabbage shreds, just about. I closed the jar and put it on a shelf.

That was Monday. I've opened it a couple of times since to push the cabbage down again because bits of it were above the surface, and my worry is the wrong kind of bacteria will develop on these bits.


Next Monday, one week after it was created, I'm going to taste my first homemade sauerkraut. If there's no more blogposts after this one you'll know why.



5 comments:

  1. Good luck! Looking forward to hearing about this. I'll maybe give it a go myself (assuming you survive!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it seemed to work! It tastes great, just like sauerkraut, maybe a bit salty. Also it's crunchier than shop-bought stuff,maybe because I didn't chop it finely enough.
      I survived though, that's the main thing.

      Delete
  2. Hi Matt,
    is that a picture of your Rosakrone peas at the beginning of the post? I have been looking all over for seed of that variety and haven´t had any luck thus far. Do you happen to have any seeds of it you would be willing to part with? I could trade you other seeds for them or reimburse you for the postage.
    Oh, and what a neat blog and undertaking. I can very much identify with it! Good luck with the new house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Eric, sorry for the VERY slow reply!
      Yes those are Rosakrone peas and you can buy them from Real Seeds Company: http://www.realseeds.co.uk/peas.html

      I don't have any left or saved I'm afraid. Thank you for your kind words and good luck with growing this year!
      FYI I've just started a new blog, mattswaninwales.blogspot.co.uk.

      Delete
  3. Hi Matt,
    Thanks for the reply. I eventually obtained seeds from a seed saver here in Germany. I sowed them this fall and the plants are happily growing away in flower boxes on my balcony. If they survive the winter I will cross them with Tom Thumb dwarf peas this spring and then another breeding project is on its way. The goal of this one is a population of mixed height Rosacrone peas for growing in hanging baskets.
    God's blessings on your further endeavors!
    Sincerely,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete