Wednesday 22 July 2015

Just Say No


Halfway up Foel Dugoed, looking back at my valley.
That dense patch of trees in the distant valley floor surrounds my plot of land




The answer to my request to Snowdonia National Park that I might keep my polytunnel and greenhouse arrived by email yesterday, five and a half months after I had submitted it formally, accompanied by isometric drawings of the structures, a map showing where the land is, a map showing where the structures are on the land, an “access and design statement”, a detailed application form, and a cheque for £61. 

The answer was no.

It was not an unexpected no. Those of you who diligently pore over every word I spout online will be well aware of the twists and turns of the discussions I've had with the planning officer and the Highways Agency these past few months, and things were not looking promising.
My first raspberry on the canes I planted in March

And to be fair, it wasn't a flat no. In fact it was probably the nicest no that one could expect in the circumstances. In quite some detail the email explained that the only reason for the no was the Highways Agency's objection (due to the tricky access onto the A road) and the Park felt that they had to do what the Highways Agency said as they were effectively the Welsh Government, despite not agreeing with the Agency's reasoning. 

It was reiterated that there were no plans to enforce the decision by placing an enforcement notice on me, so I can carry on regardless. The option to appeal the decision was spelled out. The planning officer even attached the letter she had written to the Agency telling them what she thought and the fact that she wouldn't be enforcing the decision. She also said she would drop by in the next couple of weeks to discuss face-to-face.

This mouse had just conked out dead on the path in my polytunnel. 

It is all rather ridiculous really. All this fuss over two agricultural buildings on a piece of land designated for agriculture. Apparently if I had submitted a “prior notification” to the Park before putting the structures up, I would not have had to put in for planning permission at all! I'm not sure I agree with the planning officer that this is what the law actually says, but it's too late to argue the toss now anyway.

One of the packs of slug nematodes that I sprinkled everywhere on Monday. Too soon to say if it worked...

So do I appeal and hope the planning inspector overturns the refusal? It depends how important it is that the structures haven't got planning permission I suppose. Could a change of personnel in the Park's planning department decide to revisit this decision not to enforce? I doubt it somehow. They're much too busy dealing with new and ongoing planning applications. If I ever came to sell the land, would a prospective buyer be put off by the lack of planning permission, or use it as a bargaining chip to push the price down? Well, possibly, but not necessarily. 

If I do decide to appeal it's because I'm still game for the battle. I don't see why Mr Alun Jones, Route Engineer for the Highways Agency, who has never met me or phoned me, should be allowed to dictate whether I have a polytunnel on my land, vital for my business. I'm just thankful that I have an understanding planning officer!


No comments:

Post a Comment