Wednesday 6 May 2015

Election Fever


The results of the first two hours of using a tractor-mounted log splitter
On the eve of the most tightly-fought General Election in the history of the world, as the media whips us all into a frenzy of elevated political discourse (is it Shiny-Face or Boggle-Eyes?), and as we all prepare to step up to the polling booth tomorrow to cast our vote to decide the fate of our nation, many of you have surely come straight to this blog for some last minute guidance. It's so hard to choose between them. Do we vote tactically, or honestly, or not at all? Why has there been so little in the run up to this election to inspire us?

The sweetcorn have just been planted out


Baby sweetcorn plants are a greater inspiration than all our political leaders. They'll certainly produce tastier fruit.
Tomorrow I won't be going to the polling station. Before you start to harangue me about those who died to get the right to vote, the reason I'm not voting tomorrow is because I already have. That's right, I jumped right ahead and did the deed a couple of weeks ago. I'm on the electoral roll down in West Dorset but since I knew I'd be in Wales in May I got myself a postal vote organised. So it's too late now for me if any fresh announcements are made that might change my mind (the Tories re-nationalising the railways and offering free travel, Labour giving huge windfall subsidies to small local food producers). My vote is cast. The Greens got it. That's assuming it didn't get lost in the post.

Baby French Beans (the climbing variety, each provided with its very own pole to climb)
Natalie Bennett came to the 40th anniversary celebrations of the Centre for Alternative Technology last year, I saw her there give a great speech about what the Green Party stood for. She didn't have a brain freeze. She spoke with optimism and clarity about the systemic changes that must be made to place our society on a better footing. She urged us to vote for who we believe in, not tactically just to stop a worse bunch from getting in. And I think on the whole that's the best thing to do even when you know it's not going to get them into power. (My vote is in Oliver Letwin's constituency, one of the safest Tory strongholds). It may not this time, or next time, but small parties can only grow if people vote for them. 

Baby cabbages buffeted by the howling winds with only a couple of old cloches to protect them

So if you are in a bit of a dither over who should get your precious vote tomorrow, pour yourself a small glass of chilled Chablis, have a seat by the fireplace and, if you haven't already done so, spend a few minutes glancing over the Green Party manifesto. It's worth a read even if you don't vote for them. It certainly isn't just about how we can stop destroying our planet, although that does feature (thankfully).

I'll end on a bit of slightly good news. My planning officer came to visit me last Wednesday on my land and we spent nearly an hour talking about my various planning woes. Those of you who've been following this blog will know that (a) I'm no longer allowed to live in my caravan on the land, and (b) I was forced to put a planning application in to keep my polytunnel and greenhouse, which the Highways Agency has subsequently objected to. With regard to (a) she remained adamant that it would be a breach of planning control to live on my land, and I can't be classed as a seasonal agricultural worker. So no joy there.

However, on (b) she is taking my side against the Highways Agency. That's not to say she won't follow their direction and refuse it (they're playing the “We're the Welsh Government” trump card) although she's pushing back on them to explain their reasons more precisely. But if she does refuse it she says she will consider it inexpedient to enforce it. Which boils down to me being able to keep them without any more hassle. I also have the option of appealing a refusal decision which could end up with it being overturned – in which case the two structures would finally get the legitimacy of official blessing from on high! I tell you they don't make it easy for veg growers around here.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to hear you've had some positive news! So there's some light at the end of the (poly)tunnel then! Hopefully you will be allowed to keep the polytunnel and greenhouse or, even if refused, still be able to keep them if the planning officer says she won't enforce a negative decision. Likewise, who's to know if you are sleeping in the caravan now and again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes exactly and I am allowed to sleep there for 28 days in the year anyway.

    ReplyDelete