Wednesday 23 April 2014

We're All Going To The Zoo Tomorrow





It's St George's Day and it seems people in Wales celebrate it as much as the English – that is, not at all.  However Easter was, I believe, celebrated by the Church of Wales and in fact the ancient stone church not far from me was used for an actual service on Good Friday, a fact I only discovered on Easter Saturday. It seems to have at most one or two services held there a year. I wasn't too put out at missing it though, as not only would it have been the 'miserable' service remembering the death of Jesus (as opposed to the 'joyful' service on Easter Sunday), it would have been conducted in the Welsh language, a tongue I have yet to master I'm ashamed to say.

Easter Sunday was instead marked by a dinner at Kelly's* where several of us brought vegetables of various kinds and Kelly cooked them all up into a veritable feast of colours, tastes and sounds. (OK maybe we had to make the sounds.) An Easter bunny made of chocolate was smashed with a spoon and distributed amongst us. I guess this ritual will have to do for this year.

Livingstone I presume?

Last Thursday and Friday, or Maundy Thursday and Good Friday to give them their full titles, I seemed to spend entirely in the car driving here and there with trailer attached collecting useful stuff. First off it was over to the nearby caravan park to pick up a backlog of about fifteen sacks of fresh horse manure, plus five bags of the well-rotted stuff. Having tipped that onto the ever growing pile on my land, it was over to Esgair woodland near the Centre for Alternative Technology with Belinda** and a pair of secateurs to harvest two hundred bamboo canes, beautifully striped green and white. Apparently the woodland owner doesn't mind as they are considered an invasive species. Now I have half of them constructed as a runner bean frame along the length of one raised bed; the rest soon to become a duplicate frame on the next bed along (I have to grow a LOT of runner beans for the veg bag scheme.)

Two hundred canes - for free
Now it's a simple matter of growing the beans

The next day, a hot one, I was up early and driving nine miles due west over the mountain pass and through the Dyfi Forest to get to the goldmine of horse muck – a couple who own about twenty acres and three male horses have over time accumulated tonnes of manure, much of which is now wonderfully dark and crumbly, and they were desperate to get rid of it. It took all morning and into the afternoon to make two round trips but I ended up with a polytunnel half-full of the stuff, having made only a slight dent in their pile.  After a quick bite for lunch I was off again, this time to a pig farm near a village blessed with the name Arthog. (I wonder when it lost the initial W?) Peter*** came along to make the introductions. They had a load of decking timber they no longer wanted, and seemed glad to let me take as much as my trailer could cope with, i.e. not very much. I've been a bit wary of it since a small part of its floor fell out a couple of weeks ago. Still, I took away seventeen 240cm lengths which I will use either for lining the path down the polytunnel or making sides for one of the raised beds.

A couple of woolly pigs on the pig farm

The decking timber made it back to my land
It's a good feeling to see this place slowly coming together, piece by piece. The polytunnel is all but complete, with just a couple of doors to finish off. The seeds are growing, encourage by the recent warmth and now some rain. Now all I need is the huge net to protect my garden from the pheasants; the gamekeeper has promised one but it has yet to appear, so at present each area I sow in I have to protect with a makeshift cage which gives my garden the appearance of a vegetable zoo.  Hmm, do I detect a revenue opportunity?  Bring your children this summer to the Mid Wales Vegetable Zoo! It might just work.

The Mange-Tout Enclosure in the Mid Wales Vegetable Zoo

* Not her real name.
** Also not.
*** Nope.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Matt, Just found your blog a little while ago and it's great to follow your progress. You did well to find this lovely woodland and you are fortunate to have enough of a clearing to grow your plots of vegetables. Are there any laws governing how long you can live on your land? Also, if your intention is to set up a small community on the land, will you need planning permission or some other consent? Also, how will you set up the community, will people have to buy a share or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt. I love your project. I'd be delighted if you would reply to my original post. Regards, M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Mike I've only just noticed your comment... For some reason Blogger doesn't alert me to new comments. Also I only have access to the internet for about an hour a week in the library, so please forgive my tardiness!
      Thanks for following my blog, it's great to get feedback from people. My original intention was to form a small community here, e.g 5 people or so, but now I'm not sure my six acres could fully support more than a couple of people with their energy and food needs so I'm thinking now more along the lines of having a long-term volunteer or two to help out with the work, at some point.
      Regarding planning law, yes there are laws governing how long you are allowed to live on your land. As I do not live there all year round, I fall under Permitted Development for a seasonal agricultural worker. I am currently focusing on establishing a viable business before going down the route of obtaining full planning permission for residence.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply Matt. You're probably right about how many people 6 acres of woodland would support. I used to have John Seymour's book Self Sufficiency but I can't remember how many acres he was suggesting would be necessary to support a person; and of course he was talking about arable & grazing land, not woodland. The plan to establish the business before proceeding for planning sounds like the logical thing to do. I guess you will need to put together a viable business plan and also deal with the technical issues/building regulations with regards to services/water/waste water etc. I'm looking forward to reading about your progress. All the best.

      Delete